Who's zooming who?

Who's zooming who?
And I've got to pee

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Holding My Breath

I called over and over again to no answer. Slammed the phone, inserted my quarter, called the operator, etc. I just needed to hear my sisters voice. She should have been home from school by now! After forty five minutes I gave up.

So I got on the bus to head home. By the time I got there she should be too. Then we could devise a plan to get to Adam. Trapped in an age lacking cell phones. I had to go in the opposite direction so I didn't leave Tammy alone. I quickly discovered why I couldn't get a hold of her.

I sat on the bus on Barger, creeping towards the intersection for at least a half hour. Unlike her I knew who the victim was. Every foot closer I tried to stop the tears. But by the time we got to the intersection I could see the investigators and my chest tightened. Many on the bus were staring at me now.

Once past Beltline the bus seem to move even slower. My tears ran faster. I thought about just getting off and running but I knew I had to think this through. Every stop seemed to be needed until mine was reached.

I flew off the steps and started to run. I am not big on running but I didn't want Tammy to sit any longer alone. I didn't want to be alone any longer. If I could just drop the bag weighing me down!

I was lucky there was a gate in the middle of the fence surrounding the housing community. I had hopped it before on several occasions when I didn't have the energy to walk all the way around to the entrance. One good push and I was over. Nothing was going to stop me from getting to the front steps now. I could see the door.

I wrestled with the keys, with my heart pounding out of my chest. Finally in, I said 'Tammy!'. And 'Tammy?'again, and 'Tammy!' again,  Then screamed it repeatedly. I curled up in a ball and started to sob and scream.

The door flew open and Tammy came to me. 'We were out looking for you."

Mom had arranged for someone to pick us up and take us to the hospital. I wiped away a few tears so I could see. We hugged each other all the way to the car. Climbed in the back. And hugged all the way to Sacred Heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment